Sunday, August 14, 2005

Good things

First, some kind words for the folks at Thales Navigation. They make the Magellan line of gps receivers. My Map 330M started getting wiggy, powering off for no reason or keyboard not responding. Sometimes EPROM's need to be zapped, so I tried uploading new firmware. Nada. I contacted their support staff through email and they gave me an RA (this thing was way out of warranty). So I sent it to them with $65+ph and they sent me a brand new unit. I guess they couldn't zapp it either.

The company I work for is trying to get into the home automation market. I just put a system in at the lake house. Pretty basic, but very convenient. Open the back door, the hallway light comes on. Call the controller from home and turn on the AC. This past weekend, I installed a 30a X-10 relay on the water heater (also acts as an X-10 signal bridge/repeater). Now I can program it based on our usage habits. The controller offers lighting control, security, HVAC, and event logging. There are many devices out there that interface with it, even plumbing devices. I see tremendous potential for this in resort areas. People that own multiple rental properties will find it useful. There is an interface for Windows Media Center, too. Future projects will include an outlet for heat tape under the house and since we are getting a new deck, some cool mood lighting.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assessing the real value your organization p...
IT Lessons From A Caffeine Addict.. or What Mr. Coffee Is Teaching Me About IT by Matthew Moran Why is IT predominantly a male profession and why and how should it change? by Joe Santana Notes to Marketing ...
You have a super blog here! I'm bookmarking this site.

I have a roman coin site. It covers roman coin related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

9:36 PM  
Blogger jadam said...

I absolutely hate this f'ing comment spam. The X10 system sounds cool. Dad was asking whether it could be controlled from a Mac (don't tell anyone but I think he's pretty impressed with my Mini) and I found this site which looks like it will work. http://www.shed.com/

There's also a commercial version thay looks nice too.
http://www.smarthome.com/1430.html

Aww, dammit, now I look like a comment spammer!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Benny said...

The only x-10 software for Mac I have seen is Indigo. I think that is the package that Smarthome has. The controller doesn't really need an interface once programmed, which I do with a Sony Vaio running XP. I base events primarily on security and sunrise/sunset. For instance, if security is armed, turn on outside lights for 27 minutes 30 minutes after sunset. Since the sun sets at a slightly different time each day, it adds a nice random element. I also can program buttons such as "Go to bed" which when initiated, turns off all lights, set the thermostat back, arms the system in night mode and turns off the water heater.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home