Thursday, August 25, 2005

Podcasts

OK,
I thought podcasts were a passing fad. I had never really checked them out. Turns out they are cool. One of my Sunday morning things is "Meet The Press" with Tim Russert. Tim asks some tough questions (well tough by network TV standards) and I like to see guests from both the left and right writhe and squirm. So MSNBC has been advertising podcasts of their shows so I figure I'll check them out. Pretty safe way to get into some already familiar territory. I had missed last week, so it was kind of interesting to hear Trent Lott writhe and squirm under David Gregory's questions (guest host-Tim's on vacation). So anyway, I decided to try Al Franken's show. I like Al. He's been a Deadhead since , well if you can remember, you really weren't there. His diatribe against fellow druggie Rush Limbaugh is hilarious. So I tried Todd Cochrane's Geek News Weekly. Now I really start to se the potential. Todd turns me on to the Flickr Magazine Cover (see previous post). If I had been listening to Kim Kommando, I would have missed the URL. With a podcast, you can rewind. So it's kind of like a radio talk show, only you are in control. This morning, I checked out TWiT with Leo Laporte. I laughed my ass off all the way to work. It was John-Boy and Billy for geeks. John Dvorak as the crusty old curmudgeon (i.e. Robert D. Raeford). Only he makes sense, most of the time. I'm hooked. BTW, Cool new radio station in Williamsburg, WTYD "The Tide". Not a lot of commercials (yet) and some cool "hand picked " setlists. 107.9 on I64 east out of Richmond and streaming audio soon as well as another xmtr on 92.3. Got a real college radio thing going on, but they are not afraid to throw some old CSN&Y or Joni Mitchell in there.------- Content.------- COOL!

1 Comments:

Blogger jadam said...

I myself am a big fan of podcasts. I have been toying around with the idea of making one with some former work friends who have moved away as a way to talk about things we find interesting and just keep up with each other. I agree that the level of control with podcasts is amazing, especially the 'enhanced' podcasts where the creators can embed links throughout the podcast and you can go back and click on the link in iTunes. You have a pretty good analogy for TWiT. For more tech-related hilarity, check out Diggnation, where two guys discuss tech news while getting drunk. It's pretty great.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home