Monday, August 09, 2004

Football weather and fresh seafood

Wow! The wx this weekend felt like we should have been headed to a college football game. I love fall at the lake , but I have never experienced it in August! The high temp Saturday was 74 and made for some lovely cycling. I did the "around the block" route Saturday (16 mi) and the Lizard Creek Loop (22 mi) on Sunday. Both routes take me past the most happenin' spot on the lake; the Lake Country Flea Market. On Saturday, I noticed a vendor advertising "Fresh NC Shrimp". Upon further investigation, I also noticed "Fresh Yellowfin Tuna Steaks". They had me at that point. I finished my ride, grabbed a quick shower and back to the Flea Market, I went. The shrimp were phenomenal, 30-36 count and just as sweet as they could be, at $5.75 lb! I had to look at the other offerings, some of the prettiest red snapper and sea scallops at $7.50 per pint. Tuna steaks were sold out, but my new friend told me to come back tomorrow and he would have some just for me. I left with scallops and shrimp, and since we already had some nice tenderloin filets, it was surf & turf night at the Sowers Grill. Next morning I rode the Lizzard Creek circuit backwards (I like to mix it up) and there was my new friend with tuna steaks that can only be described as sashimi grade. If I had some wasabi, I would have eaten one right there. We took those home and grilled them at Jim and Connie's with a little ginger marinade. Now I can't wait until next weekend. Mahi and Blackened Redfish are on the menu, all South Beach approved. I even managed to lose another lb over the weekend, feasting like I did. South Beach works. Still no beer. Four weeks now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home